The Panthers should be a good test for Mick Cronin's Bearcats after A&M won there first game of the season Saturday night 91-47 over the Schreiner Mountaineers. The Panthers were led by Darnell Hugee 20 points, Michael Griffin had 15 points (3-6 3pt) and Christopher Jones who had 5 points and 12 assists.
Getting to know Bearcat opponent
Prairie View A&M Panthers (1-0)
Head Coach: Byron Rimm II, (34-60 in 5th year at Prairie View)
2009 Record: 17-16, (12-6) 3rd Place in SWAC (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
Key Returning Players: Sr. F Darnell Hugee (12 ppg, 7.3 rpg), So. G Michael Griffin (9.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.3 apg), Sr. G Christopher Jones 9.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 4.6 apg)
Key Losses: Derek Johnson (9.9 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.4 apg)
Five Things to Watch
1. A&M returned 6 of there top 9 players in minutes played, and 5 of the top 6 scores.
2. Prairie View A&M led the SWAC in scoring averaging 70.2 ppg
3. Darnell Hugee won Newcomer of the Year in the SWAC, but also fouled out 10 times.
4. Only 2 players shot better then 67.2 % from free throw line last season, (Saturday Night the panthers were 4-10 FT)
5. The Panthers unselfish style lead to 26 assists on 39 FGs on Saturday night, last season they led SWAC in scoring despite no player averaging more then 12 ppg
Key Matchups to Watch
Sophomore Yancy Gates vs. Darnell Hugee
With Hugee's foul trouble situations, Gates must attack him and make him defend for every minute he's only the floor to get the Panthers best weapon in foul trouble.
Freshman Cashmere Wright vs. Christopher Jones
This match up for Wright will be won on defensive end of the floor, Wright but stay in front of Jones because if the front line has to step over and help that’s when Jones will find the open man.
Keys for Bearcats
1. Continue to apply defensive pressure and wear down Panthers
2. Attack Darnell Hugee and make him defend every position, to use his aggressiveness against him.
3. Limit second chance points for Panthers.
4. Get Deonta Vaughn involved in game early.
5. Use bench to advantage as it's been a weapon in the two exhibitions.